Friday, July 30, 2010

A Repost From Jiggy Aquino Cruz From Yahoo! Southeast Asia

Remembering Lola on her 1st death anniversary

By Yahoo! Southeast Asia Editors – July 30th, 2010
Email Facebook Twitter Print
600ap_coryandjiggy1

By Jiggy Aquino Cruz,
Special to Yahoo! Southeast Asia

I tweeted the other day that August 1, 2010 was the first death anniversary of my lola Cory. Yes, it’s been a year already. There were a lot of people who replied and said that they continue praying for her. Others said how time just flew by. As for me, I continue to pray for her but I can’t agree on time being fast. In my family, we miss my lola each and every day…

AP Photo

Philippine President Corazon Aquino (center) laughs as a friend pinches the cheek of her grandson, Jiggy Aquino Cruz, before ceremonies to unveil a memorial statue of Benigno Aquino in Manila, on Wednesday, Nov. 26, 1986. (AP Photo/Alberto Marquez)

Despite being busy at work, the campaign, election fever and all that, I found it really difficult not being able to physically talk to my lola. She lived in our house during the last year of her life so passing by her old room makes it even more difficult. I talk to my Mom about it and she made me realize that we were being selfish. My lola already accepted it the moment she found out she was ill and she sacrificed the pain to give us more time with her. I will always be thankful for that sacrifice she gave to me and my family. I know she’s in a better place now.

AP Photo

President Corazon Aquino and her grandson, Justin Benigno prays before the tomb of her assassinated husband Benigno Aquino, during religious ceremony at a suburban memorial park to commemorate Benigno’s birthday on Sunday, Nov. 27, 1988 in Manila (**Caption not clear). (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

Some of us may have or may have not experienced a death in the family. For those who have experienced it, they can agree with me that it is very, very difficult. Death will still remain a mystery for many of us. We may not be that accepting, but it’s something we all have to go through. Now that a year has passed, people ask me what you say during the first death anniversary. How do you greet that person who lost a loved one? I told them that I had no idea what you say. The important thing is that you celebrate the life of that person.

August 1, 2010 marks her first death anniversary. My only wish is that people don’t forget her. My lola lived a full life and she even offered her suffering to the Filipino people during the last year of her life. To the very end, she remained faithful to the Lord and believed in the Filipino people. If there’s one thing I can pass on that my lola wished is that Filipinos continue to pray to the Lord and to pray for one another.

I leave you with one of my lola’s most powerful words and it goes:

“I would rather die a meaningful death than to live a meaningless life.”

To everyone who visited during my lola’s wake last year, to all who visited her grave in Manila Memorial Park, and to all who are continuing to pray for her, in behalf of my family, MARAMING MARAMING SALAMAT PO.

+++

Jiggy Aquino Cruz is the grandson of Ninoy and Cory Aquino.

Reposted From Jiggy Aquino Cruz From Yahoo! Southeast Asia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers